History and ProgressThe Henderson Hospital was originally constructed in the summer of 1944 by the United States Federal Works Agency under the Lanham Act. The 80-bed, one-story, pavilion style (Figure 1), city county operated facility opened in 1946. This facility served the hospital and community well and was used in part to house valuable services including Out-Patient Surgery, and the Child Care Center until August 31, 2005 when this section was torn-down to make room for the new South Tower addition.
Methodist Hospital in 1946On August 16, 1948, the Hospital and approximately twenty-one acres of property were purchased by The Methodist Hospital in Henderson, Inc. With the financial and spiritual support of the Louisville Annual Conference of the Methodist Church, ownership was transferred to the Methodist Hospital of Henderson that eventually become known as "Community United Methodist Hospital, Inc."
By 1963, it became apparent the one-story facility would not meet the needs of the community and planning was initiated for development of a modern multi-story acute care facility. This facility adopted a phased method for planning and growth to meet community need. With the completion of Phase VIII, the newly constructed, six-floor North Tower (Figure 2) addition, and the 50th Anniversary celebration, the organization reclaimed the name - Methodist Hospital.
The 1946 hospital was demolished in August, 2005 to pave the way for construction of the South Tower providing for replacement of the hospital on this accessible community location overlooking the beautiful Ohio River.